Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Four H's......4-H




"I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
My heart to greater loyalty,
My hands to larger service,
And my health to better living, for my club, my community, my country and my world."


As long as I can remember I was in 4-H, and when I was younger than 8, I was at all the meetings with my older brother. My mother was our Club Leader and I was always enrolled in Clothing, Cooking, Breads, Arts & Crafts, and one very long year of Sheep.

Well, the torch has passed and now it's my kiddos' turns.

Adi is enrolled in Clothing, Poultry, Bucket Calf, Food Preservation and Child Development. Here's a sneaky peak at one of her clothing articles.

Audra is enrolled in Clothing, Bucket Calf and Poultry. Here's a sneaky peak at one of her finished projects.

Austin is just along for the ride of it all, helping out with all the projects. He helps gather eggs, feed the calves, dig in the garden and wants to sew a boy pillow really bad. He keeps saying, "I'm big enough to sew!"

I was raised in town, I couldn't get you to any of my friends' houses except the 3 who lived right on the highway. I only did 1 year of animal projects because of living in town. Now, look at me. I LOVE LIVING IN THE COUNTRY!! You couldn't give me a house in town. When I go stay with my parents, it drives me nuts....the neighbor's dog barking....constant stream of cars going by making me worry about the kids being outside by themselves....the rush rush rush of the city in general....not being able to see the complete night sky full of stars and sounds of the bullfrogs, song birds and crickets....etc, etc, etc......


I highly recommend 4-H for any and all who have access to the program. It is a wonderful way for our children to learn about and do new things that they wouldn't be exposed to otherwise. It builds self-confidence and they acquire life-skilled responsibilities.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I love the color and pattern in that dress/apron/skirt or whatever it is in the second clothing picture. You have some amazing quilts and things on here! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a link to yours. The song you mentioned, btw, is "Lucky Man" by Montgomery Gentry and it's a great one:o)